The Foundation Airsoft Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Beast

+6
Howie
Fett
allout
plank
Specter777
Redshirt
10 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Halo Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Beast - Page 9 Empty Re: Halo Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Beast

Post by Howie 21st April 2014, 4:00 pm

Love it
Howie
Howie
Your the Man
Your the Man

Back to top Go down

Halo Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Beast - Page 9 Empty OMG! It Works!

Post by Redshirt 23rd April 2014, 12:41 am

Che Chuy wrote:Squeeeee!

Howie wrote:Love it

Thanks guys!

We shot the videos tonight and are splicing them together. The Spartan Laser fired and filmed beautifully. At the end of the demo shoots, I stood for some human testing about 80 feet away as my son shot me. I was wearing new ABUs and a thermal shirt underneath. I figured, why should I shoot someone with 2100+ BBs/minute if I couldn't stand to be hit with the same?

Here are the results:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Laser Kill! It wasn't pretty before the damage either. I'm Redshirt, I had to be the first to get shot by this thing.

This is why I've refused to upgrade the springs or motors.

The videos are coming! The human testing footage may make you cry (with laughter). My son said I sounded just like the Master Chief when he dies in the game.

Redshirt
Redshirt
Redshirt
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Halo Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Beast - Page 9 Empty Re: Halo Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Beast

Post by Howie 23rd April 2014, 9:00 pm

Ouch Ouch, 80 feet away! Looks like your son was little bit to much fun shooting you, what was the FPS and ROF, so I know to run the other way when I catch a glimpse of you on the field
Howie
Howie
Your the Man
Your the Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Redshirt 23rd April 2014, 10:08 pm

All three gearboxes are standard Echo1 version sixes with standard-grade barrels, so probably 375 FPS.  I'm running three 11.1 LiPos so ROF should be above 2100 BBs/min!

Redshirt
Redshirt
Redshirt
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by Howie 23rd April 2014, 11:20 pm

Think I will wear my plates, so it won't so bad
Howie
Howie
Your the Man
Your the Man

Back to top Go down

Halo Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Beast - Page 9 Empty Fully Operational Airsoft Spartan Laser!

Post by Redshirt 25th April 2014, 10:19 pm

Well here it is, the mission complete post. Of course there will be more updates as I use it, but today my Halo 3 airsoft Spartan Laser is -con and combat-ready. I rushed it into basic shape almost two months ago for Pensacon and it looked decent, but didn't animate. It was also not airsoft-ready. I'm amazed it has taken nearly two months of testing, adjusting, and re-engineering, but tonight I'd be confident to take it to any con or airsoft event and have it work without fail.

Design spec refresher:

Exactly replicate H3 Splaser with metal parts where the game version would be metal

Have the front shroud raise and lower electronically with the opening/closing of the fore grip

At trigger pull:
Sighting laser comes on
Slow rumble motor starts
After three seconds fast rumble motor starts to warn you it is about to fire
After four seconds the solenoids close to fire the airsoft assembly

Three complete airsoft systems enclosed to fire 2200+ BBs/min

Internal tracer units to charge glow BBs for night play

External lighting (2 brightnesses) matching the game model

Here is the video everyone has been waiting and asking for:

Reminds me of the Bigfoot sighting pictures. Biglaser sighting!

22 pounds fully loaded!

Big Scary Laser: Do Not Look Into Beam With Remaining Eye

I took some more shots the next day to try and capture the revised color scheme

Locked!

I dry brushed Testors acrylic brass over all the raised details then airbrushed over the entire green surface to give it a really cool iridescent effect like in the game. This comes through not at all in photos.

Open and ready

The brass overcoat gives it a browner appearance in the sunlight

Profile study. After four years, It is a bit startling to see the sum of the parts. So worth it!

I'll be back with game and con photos and any significant developments. I'm already started on a hollow frag grenade to carry spare BBs. I also have a plasma grenade prop in development as well as an airsoft conversion of one of Tactonyx's excellent Magnums. AS always, I'm happy to answer any questions about this project.

Redshirt
Redshirt
Redshirt
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Halo Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Beast - Page 9 Empty Weapon Servicing and Day Firing Demo

Post by Redshirt 4th May 2014, 10:53 pm

Thanks for your patience. I've had amazing response these last two weeks in a variety of places (405th, Waypoint, Certain Affinity, Facebook, Twitter, Airsoft Retreat, Reddit/halo, theRPF, and others). In answer to a number of inquiries, here is a video covering how the weapon is serviceD as well as how it looks firing in the daylight. It was hard to capture the sheer number of BBs flying as the frame rate of my camera just doesn't do it justice.

Thanks to Galaxyor for standing in as my guest shooter.

Enjoy!

Redshirt
Redshirt
Redshirt
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by Redshirt 11th June 2014, 12:08 am

And I'm back!
It took a few weeks with a couple of graduations to travel to, but I FINALLY got the Spartan Laser out onto our airsoft field this past weekend. It worked phenomenally! No mechanical failures, no damage or lost parts. I got five kills with it and only died three times. I can't get that performance playing Halo. That's why I'm Redshirt!

Hiding out while charging. I know, not a very Halo setup. I was pleased to discover I never needed to draw my 1911 sidearm the whole day.

Here I am with the Splaser's first kill. I suppose I should have had a six pack or a 'Laser Kill' T-shirt for my first official victim. All he got was the photo and some bruises. He did get a hit on me in other action.

Here's the game footage. We got what we could with my Droid. Sorry, the Splaser ate up the budget for a Go-Pro!

My team usually had me come up the middle and hold the other team down while we attacked. The Splaser was so effective in this role that the opposing team would announce when I was hit and the Spartan Laser was down. It has a very unique sound from the winding mechanism that coincides with the spool-up timer. The guys on the other team said that noise and the sighting laser was enough to keep them hunkered down. I spent all my time working on the physical effects of the weapon that the psychological effect was a surprise.

I got a lot of positive comments in the paddock area between games. I let anyone that wanted to shoot it. All in all a great day out.

It's been a great run making this thing into a mature weapon system. I couldn't be happier with its performance on the field. The three streams of BBs stay together for about 150 feet then diverge, almost ensuring a kill at range because of the coverage pattern. I look forward to getting in some night games in the fall.

Redshirt
Redshirt
Redshirt
Joe Mid Cap
Joe Mid Cap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9